Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Once Is Forever

When asked to do something by my children I have to stop and think. Which is painful. There is that Do It For The Rest Of My Life Factor, that has to be taken into account.
For example, if you have a daughter named Sarah and she asks you to give her a back rub at bedtime, please be prepared to give a back rub Every Night from then on.
If Nathan asks for honey on his cereal one morning and you are agreeable to that, please know that honey is now on the menu with every bowl of cereal.
If Daddy is in a Smoothie making mood one night, well then every night is now Smoothie Making Night.
If you let your eldest son change the ring tone on your cell phone once, please understand that it is now considered his cell phone.
If one Sunday after church you head on over for some fast food, well I am sure you can guess the rest.
Feel my pain.

9 comments:

Keithslady said...

I feel it....acutely. I'm experiencing it with you every day.

Anonymous said...

Once Is Forever is the rule at our house, too. I feel your pain.

theswamphare said...

Yep, I did that with 'Buttery Noodles' at lunchtime; now I am a buttered-noodle slave.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain.
Jever try to head them off at the pass? Sometimes (when I'm at the top of my game) I can actually see this very thing coming. So I make my agreement conditional. "Well... just this once, I will __________. But we're not gonna do this EVERY night."
Yep, I kinda take the fun outta things that way. At least I retain some brain cells I might otherwise have lost in the process.

Carla said...

Tried that too. Then it's just, "But, Momma..."

kristi noser said...

Call me crazy, but how about "nope, not this time."

Butrfly Garden said...

Hey, I know that rule! Poor kids never get "yes's" anymore. ;)

Carla said...

butrfly,
HI! I've missed ya!

Kara Jo said...

Feelin' your pain, too.