Thursday, June 19, 2008

Learn As You Go

Nobody told me that bedtime can take up to 2 hours. Nobody told me that children can make you laugh and cry at the same time. Nobody told me that I would oftentimes yell and become so frustrated. Nobody told me that infants puke in your hair. Nobody told me that children can fall and scrape themselves up more than 4 times an hour. Nobody told me that daughters are so emotional. Nobody told me that the whine of a child can pierce your brain. Nobody told me I would feel so tired and so old. Nobody told me it would be this hard. Nobody told me that those moments when they smile at you, take their first step, say Momma, learn to read and ride a bike would make me glad to be alive.

If someone had told me any of these things, I wouldn't have believed them anyway.

10 comments:

Keithslady said...

I guess I had an advantage--was aware of all of the gross things from babysitting and being the oldest of four (spread out over 12 years). The joys were unexpected icing on the cake.

However, I remember my mom once saying, "It never really dawned on me that I'd have to wash hair for 18 years, and I hate washing children's hair." I've since had my own "I never revelations"--giving baths, changing sheets, cutting hair, rotating clothes for seasons....

Carla said...

clipping nails and blowing noses...

kristi said...

I agree 100%.

Kara Jo said...

keithslady, Amen to the rotating clothes for the seasons. And changing sheets--on BUNK beds. Near impossible.

Carla, great post. It's all of that, isn't it. :)

I never knew...that kids could bring out the worst in me. And they say it's MARRIAGE that magnifies your flaws...Pshaw!

Katie R. said...

I have a Bachelor's Degree in early childhood but didn't learn a darn thing til Isaiah was born. It was then I finally got edjicated.

Unknown said...

With each year that passes I understand the value of phrases like "I'm winging it" and "It is what is". I love you babe and we will love our cherished together.

Carla said...

Love you 2!

erin said...

I wouldn't have believed it, either.

Anonymous said...

Kara Jo,
You said it about changing those (insert any bad word that comes to mind here) BUNK bed sheets.

...don't get me started....

But Carla, you're right about the rest.

Carla said...

My children bring out the worst in me too. And the best.