Thursday, April 21, 2011

Being Real 5



Once home I immediately called the cops. I explained that I had just been beaten up and assaulted by my boyfriend. I asked for an officer to be there when I went back to Don's trailer. I had one more thing to get. It was my parent's microwave. I knew they would care more about that than about me. I would never hear the end of it if Don had it and they never got it back.
I drove to the trailer park and there was an officer there. This woman(at least I think she was a woman)barked at me, "I ain't here to babysit you two!" I told Don to get the microwave and put it in my car. Remember how big and heavy microwaves were 22 years ago?? He did and then said something to me. I pushed him away from me with all my might. The officer walked up to him and said, "Sir, would you like to press charges against this woman? I just witnessed her assault you."
Don looked thoughtful for a moment like he might just say yes and watch me be handcuffed and put into the police car and taken to jail. He smiled and laughed his evil laugh and said, "No."
I got into my car and the officer stated, "I should really take you in anyway for what you did." I told her that I had been beat up by this man. She stated, "Well, I wasn't a witness to that. But I did witness this." I said, "Thanks for nothing." and drove away.
I got completely drunk and in the morning my sister took pictures of my bruises. I went and filed a police report and nothing came of that. There were no witnesses they kept telling me. I was the witness! No big surprise I guess that there was no support for me.
I graduated from college with a degree in Elementary/Special Education!! I packed for the east coast and found a support group for abused women. I didn't like it. There were women being brutalized and they refused to leave and we all sat there while the counselor said, "How do you feel about that?"
I left the midwest for my nanny job and felt FREE AT LAST! But the past pain and trauma needed to be dealt with. I bought several books on abusive relationships. I basically found my identity in being a victim. I read and journaled and really wish I could say that I turned to God. But I didn’t. I turned back to what I knew. Drinking and partying and spending money on trips to the mall and New York City! I was still a mess but I was no longer being abused.
My younger sister worked with Don and must have heard day after day how much he loved me and missed me. She GAVE HIM MY ADDRESS and he sent me roses on my birthday. ???!!! I made a million rose bits and threw them away.
I was out east for for a least a year. By then the little family had grown by two twin boys! I wanted to get back to the midwest and teach! I wanted to meet someone and be in a long term relationship. I wanted love.
Don called the minute I got home from the east to see if he could come over.(My sister must have told him I was back) I said sure. I had mace in one pocket and a knife in the other and no feelings at all for him. He yapped for awhile and then his sister showed up and yelled, "Don, what the hell are you doing here??!!"
I smiled and laughed as he walked away.

5 comments:

erin said...

Jeez Louise. What a prize.
I'm so thankful for your escape! God is good.

kristi noser said...

Rose bits. Ha! Good one.
I love you my friend.

Carla said...

Love you.

Karla with a K said...

:*(

So glad how God has worked in your life and that you share it with us. What an agonizing story...

I love you too.

Carla said...

Thank you for reading Karla. I know it is a hard one to get through.

God has never left me.