Saturday, August 17, 2019

Relentless

Disclaimer 
Yes. I asked my daughter for permission. calmdown

Dear friends with strong willed children, 
I have some. I do. And I want to encourage you to stay the course. Keep at it. One moment at a time. Be consistent. 
From the ages of 3-7 my daughter Sarah was fit to be tied. I changed her middle name from Ann to Relentless. One day she refused to leave the yard to walk to school as her older brother skipped along without her. She banged on the door and the windows and yelled and begged for a ride. I locked the door and watched her and prayed and waited and cried out to God. After what seemed like an eternity she TRUDGED. I called the school. "This is Sarah Stream's mom. She will be late today. So I am calling her in strong willed. Give me a call when she shows up please."
She refused to open her mouth at the dentist. Ohboy. I was embarrassed and enraged and grateful for the long drive home to cool down. She was sent to her room. She destroyed it and took a nap.
She planked all the time into or out of her car seat. With bonus screaming and head butting.
Her currency was and is being with people. When she was sent to her room she would cry, "I CAN'T SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING!"
I vowed that she would obey me. No two ways about that. But it wore mommy out. She would be in time out or I would be in timeout. Everyday.
There were rays of hope and sunshine. When the girlybug said, "Yes mommy." and did as she was told. The joy and laughter and imagination and praying together and loving Jesus who made her. He would finish the work He started. I trusted His promise. (While at the same time wondered if she was possessed. Not gonna lie.)
And God is using that strong will in her life like I asked Him to so many years ago. And then there was a 3 year old son named Tim....
You can do this. You will do this. One moment at a time.
I am praying for you.
Love you,
Carla

No comments: