Saturday, December 29, 2007

Reality

This post is not meant to discourage any or all of my sweet pregnant or new momma readers. I am sure I could have accomplished that in the last 200 or so posts. These are just some thoughts swirling around in my brain today. Buckle up.
When I wanted to have a baby that was all I could think of. Infancy. The sweet sounds and smells of my cuddly bundle. Nursing and loving and rocking and holding. I didn't think of a complaining 10 year old, a strong willed 7 year old, a physically aggressive 4 year old or a ME DO 2 year old. Am I the mother of The Breakfast Club? I just never prepared myself by thinking beyond the babyhood. Of course, if I did venture beyond, I looked around at other people's children and reminded myself that "my child would never do that." They do. Over and over and over again. I am struck with the realization that while I am raising my children, they are raising me as well.

8 comments:

Reegz said...

Well said. I find myself looking at them and thinking, "They are so cute as puppies but all puppies turn into dogs." :o)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I caught a comment you posted on Because I Said So, so I've been dropping in on you too. I always say that I would take 40 more babies, but I didn't sign up for the potty training, temper tantrums, and all the older kid stuff. I thought I was getting a sweet cuddly baby that would never grow up. BTW My kids are your kids ages, too.

Carla said...

Welcome Trista!! Stay with me in the trenches, please! :)
I played a game once where the question was, "Would you take 9 obedient children or 1 disobedient child?" Every mom at the table screamed "9!!"

Anonymous said...

So it's because he's 10 that he complains? That's a relief! His birthday is Tuesday - I'll look for the refreshing change in attitude as the week progresses!
(Actually, just glad to know I'm not alone.)
KR

Carla said...

Yes, attitude change coming right up!!
I too am glad I am not alone. So Trista and Karla let's get those blogs started, please.

erin said...

I'm just gonna do it one step at a time.

Carla said...

Good plan, Erin.

Kim N. said...

I can totally relate. My whole life I pictured my self as a Mom. However, I never pictured my children as teen-agers or pre-teens. Somehow I guess I forgot that they would get older. I know that sounds kinda silly.