Sunday, November 25, 2007

I Do

I have been thinking a lot about my marriage lately. When you are married, it isn't far from your thoughts, is it? I keep hearing what a big decision it is to get married. I agree. I think one must search their heart and soul and seek wise counsel. A decision not to be taken lightly. I also happen to think that another very important decision to make is to STAY married. There will be trials, you will get your feelings hurt, your expectations will be completely shot, you will be asked by God to grow and change and give and forgive. Count on it. Someday maybe my husband and I will speak of some of our trials(ugh)to help others see that marriage is not all fun and games. I learned right quick that my new groom was not about to rescue me from my childhood and meet every baby need I had. I have learned that if he and I STAYED we would become better friends, our love and respect for each other would grow and getting in the van and driving away would be the furthest thing from our thoughts. To have and to hold, for richer for poorer, for better for worse, in sickness and in health till death do us part...God has blessed us in ways I can hardly describe because we STAY. My husband has promised me that someday when we are old and gray and almost dead we will sit on our porch and slam a couple and laugh. Laugh about all the things that have happened to us since we said I Do.

15 comments:

-V- said...

This is so beautiful, Carla. Thank you for your commitment to stay... Keep walking ahead, being a good example, and reaching out to couples who are struggling. It's a blessings to be part of the Body with you guys...

Anonymous said...

You rock 4 x 40!

Anushka said...

i love your thoughts, Carla. Thanks for writing...

moosh in indy. said...

Painfully true, decided on wedding colors and and saying I do is a cake walk (heh, pun) compared to sticking it out when things get rough and you forget why you married this man in the first place.

erin said...

I've been thinking a lot about my own marriage and how thankful I am for complete and total trust.
God is good. : )

Anonymous said...

Well said.

You decide every single day to stay together and keep at it.

I decided every single day for 10 years to stay with my husband. Then I entered a depression, couldn't admit that I needed help, started to blame him, lost faith in the church, and one day I just left.

It is to this day the biggest mistake of my life. I love him so much -he is a woman's dream- and one bad decision negatively affected so many people.

Today I am remarried and have a beautiful baby, but it was a hard reality to learn some things cannot be undone.

Carla said...

Dear Anonymous,
I am sorry for your pain. Regret is hard to live with. Be well and congratulations on the new babe!

Careangel said...

It was interesting to read your blog. My parents and I had a similar discussion over the weekend. It is so sad that so many people can't stick together through all of the vows--poorer, sickness, worse, etc. For many it is much easier to just get out rather than really put your heart and soul into the marriage. You said it well Carla. I can totally relate.

Carla said...

Thank you careangel. Sometimes I really do have to "gut it out" in my marriage and do the right thing by staying although leaving seems like a promise of relief. I stand to lose everything if I leave.

Anonymous said...

I bought a card once that read "Love isn't in the falling, it's in the staying." I keep it as a visual reminder of the committment my husband and I made. How we feel about one another at any given time can come and go--feelings are irrational. Love is an action, it is intentional. Loving in the midst raising kids, paying the mortgage, changing jobs, illness, mid life-- it must be intentional and it must be committed. Your family is blessed "in the staying" and blessed that you and your husband are keeping your promise to one another!

Reegz said...

Thanks for being so real, again, Carla. I appreciate your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Hey Punky!!!
I have always loved your writing and when you have read to me...you are a great mom, but even so, you haven't totally created your niche yet-ever thought about inspirational public speaking? Thanks for your thoughts.K

Carla said...

My KayBear!!! It's me, Punky! Sorry. You are no longer anonymous are you??
Public Speaking. Yes. I don't have anything else to do.

Brillig said...

Love it. So perfect!!!

Sarahviz said...

I love your sentiment here. It's a good reminder to us all.
STAY.