Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Being Real 2

I couldn't believe it. The pregnancy test was positive. My mind kept repeating no no no no no but the truth does rise to the surface. Yes. I was pregnant. I was 24, lived in a dump, my family wasn't speaking to me, I drove a 1980 Chevy Chevette and worked parttime at a daycare center and Lerner clothing store. I was working on getting my teaching license so I could hopefully land a teaching job. I wasn't about to tell the father. I told Pat and my roomate. 2 people. My roomate said she would drive me. She had driven lots of girlfriends to get theirs. She was talking about abortion. Pat didn't say anything. We were just friends, he was heading back to school and I was alone. I wish I would have sought out others to be informed or simply to listen and be there for me. I was terrified. Out of my mind. Terrified. What would I do? What kind of life would I have? I rushed headlong into a decision before I could even let my thoughts settle. I sorta fantasized about having it.(no, not an it! A baby! My baby!)I could almost let myself feel excited to be a mom but those thoughts were immediately shut down. No. My mother paid for my sister's abortion. Her own grandchild. My example. I went to the phone book and looked in A's. Right there. Right in front was a long list of places. I picked one. I dialed the phone and made an appointment at Meadowbrook. My problem would be over, finished, solved in one week. I could get on with my life. OR so they told me. So I thought.

Being Real 3

8 comments:

erin said...

I'm surprised that I'm the first to comment.
I'm so sorry that no one gave you a better example.
You are a pretty cool gal to share this. I'm very touched.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Carla, again I want to say how proud I am of you. Thanks for being real. You are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

So how did you end up with your husband? Is there more to the story???

Katie R. said...

Thank you again Carla for sharing. I'm sorry for the all lies that were told to you and still hurt you. I think you are so special and I'm very proud of you too.

Unknown said...

I don't know exactly how to describe it but your words affect me deeply in a way I didn't expect. Reading it in short form like this certainly provides a different perspective in addition to having lived and loved you the last seventeen years.

I am feeling a deep sense of gratitude for God's amazing grace in saving our souls and changing out hearts - healing us from the impact of our former lives.

I love you Babe!

Carla said...

I love you too. This sucks. I am really having a hard time with typing it out but it must be done. I have established a pattern. Hard post. Funny post. It works for me.

Anonymous said...

Carla-
Your are an absolute inspriation for me. Its amazing how many differtent circumstances can lead to the same sad ending (if that makes any sense).
I am really proud of you sweetie!

kristi noser said...

Karli, my sistah,
Even though I know the story, I am glad you are giving it in little bits. I can feel your heart being torn out yet again. I second the "proud of you" coment.