Monday, August 07, 2006

Reading Camp

Joshua started Reading Camp today. He didn't want to go and let me know it, by golly. I told him he didn't have to go, he GETS to go. I said that he was "chosen" to be in this camp. He was thrilled by the time I was done talking. I thought it might be nice for all of the cherubs and I to walk him to school for class at 8:30am.
8:11 Timmers sets the Guinness record for diaper filling. Momma sets her own record for diaper changing.
8:12 Nathan hit Joshua with a stick. When diapering was finished I dealt with the one who hit and the one who got hit.
8:16 2 little boys are strapped into the double stroller.
8:17 The walking begins. Sarah whines that she wants to push the stroller. I tell her she can do that on the way home.
8:21 Sarah stops walking and wants to run home to put her tennies on. I tell her no.
8:23 I turn around to see Sarah still standing in the street but now she's crying. I keep walking. I like to live on the edge.
8:25 She takes off her flip-flops and does a sprint to catch up to us.
8:28 We navigate the 4 way stop where all lines have been painted and orange cones dot the landscape. Drivers seem annoyed at having to stop for the Stream tribe, but we press on.
8:29 We hit the second whitelinepaintedorangeconed4waystop. The school looms ahead.
8:31 Joshua deposited in the Class of the Chosen Ones. I exit stage left.

The word nice doesn't quite describe this walk, but there's always tomorrow.

6 comments:

kristi noser said...

Could be worse, could be raining.

Carla said...

Is the phrase "It could be worse..." meant to help? Color me curious.

Anonymous said...

I say it all the time. Doesn't it help? Uh...it is what it is, I guess.

kristi noser said...

No, it's a line from Young Frankenstein--sorry Karli, I'll try again.

kristi noser said...

I remember when I had to "pep talk" Eli into going to math camp by telling him few were chosen. He still didn't want to go, though, but he had fun.

erin said...

"Puttin' on the RITZ...." on the way to school.