Monday, August 08, 2005

Howdy Doody

I am going to take you back a few years to when I was 8 years old. We won't be staying too long because my childhood was completely whacked. (Let's put the FUN back in dysFUNctional.)
I asked for a ventriloquist doll for Christmas that year. I was going to take my show on the road as a famous ventriloquist and her dummy. I opened a huge box after Santa came and there it was!! It turned out to be a Howdy Doody doll with plaid shirt, jeans, red boots, a neckerchief and freckles in his ears. He was ugly, yet endearing and I was easy to please. I may be old but Howdy Doody was WAY before my time!! I did practice my one line however(the one and only line I knew because I asked my parents) IT'S HOWDY DOODY TIME!!! I practiced this line over and over in front of a mirror for days and days and weeks and weeks. I finally felt ready to show my family my new talent and make it perfectly clear that their money was well spent. I had my mom and dad and two sisters sit in the living room and I found a spot on the couch. I was ready with my one line!! IT'S HOWDY DOODY TIME!! (I am pretty sure they heard INTS HOWNY LOONEY TINE!!)I sat smiling at my skill and waited in silence. My parents didn't say anything, neither did my sisters.
THHAAATTTSS ALL FOLKS!! I dragged Mr. Doody to my room, shoved him in the box and kicked him under my bed....never to be heard from again. To this day I cannot stand puppets or clowns or freaky animated creatures. I hate those Quiznos Subs commercials with the babies and the old guys voices...ugh!! Not to worry, I'll be working this out in therapy for years to come.

No comments: